Wednesday, April 30, 2014

10: Narratives from the Multi-verse



I Have No Mouth and I must Scream and the Understanding of the Multi-verse

Ok, so first I had to familiarize myself with the term “multiverse.” The multiverse is the hypothetical set of infinite or finite possible universes including historical universes that together comprise everything that exists and has a possibility of existing. I like to call it parallel universes. Multiple universes have been hypothesized in cosmology, physics, astronomy, religion, philosophy, transpersonal psychology and of course fiction, particularly in science fiction and fantasy. I decided to read I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison the story takes place 109 years after the complete destruction of human civilization. The Cold War had escalated into a world war and super computers referred to as “AM” were created by the warring nations. One day, one of the three computers becomes self-aware taking control of the entire war killing off all but four men and one woman. It follows these five characters as AM tortures them with immeasurable hatred. On their quest to find food the crew ends up taking each other’s lives out of desperation and the only remaining human is Ted due to him failing to commit suicide. AM now even more angry than before, with only one victim left for its hatred ensures that Ted can never attempt to harm himself, AM transforms him into an enormous gelatinous blob, and constantly alters his perception of time to deepen his anguish. Ted is, however, grateful that he was able to save the others from further torture. Depressing, but I liked it. Multiverse fiction builds on the idea that anything is possible like these alternate versions of everything are ever present and live simultaneous. I could be an evil overlord in another dimension and so I must be careful not to become it. Makes for some great fiction.


No comments:

Post a Comment